In 1946, the then fledging Soroptomist Club was newly formed and looking for civic projects to support. They were searching for a project that would require little money as their treasury was low. Mrs. George (Lucelia) Wiltse was on the project committee and she suggested that the town needed a Humane Society. The idea was approved and the project received a donation of $25. With this money and the hard work of thirteen ardent volunteers the Society was chartered in 1947 with the goal of protecting homeless, helpless and suffering animals in Clallam County. Mrs Wiltse was the backbone of its success. The first shelter was built in 1949 at 16th and “D” Streets in Port Angeles. The present Shelter was built in 1956 at our current location at 2105 West Highway 101, on a 100 X 100 foot donated lot and this facility was completely remodeled in 1983. Because of its age and lack of room for expansion, the building is in desperate need of replacement. The animals housed at the Shelter are surrendered by owners who no longer can keep them or are strays. The Humane Society also has contracts to shelter animals that are picked up by Clallam County Animal Control and the police in the cities of Sequim and Port Angeles. These animals are released to their owners after the appropriate fines or fees are paid. If they are not claimed by their owner, the animal becomes available for adoption. The shelter currently handles about 2,000 animals a year.